Home » Outdoor Activities » Chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms
A view of the Chicken-of-the-woods mushroom.

Chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms

 

Richard Redman with Chicken-of-the-Woods Mushroom
Richard Redman looks at a chicken-of-the-woods shelf fungus growing on a stump.

 

[Christopher Nyerges is the author of “Guide to Wild Foods” and 9 other books. He leads regular wild food and survival skills walks through School of Self-reliance. You can learn more at www.ChristopherNyerges.com]

An excellent tasting — and colorful — wild mushroom

 Knowledge of edible wild mushrooms can really enhance your outdoor experience and give you a little bit of self-reliance in the city. Yet, there is this mystique about mushroom hunting. Lots of folks are very wary about venturing into the field of mycology. And this is understandable, considering the fact that even “experts” occasionally die from eating the wrong mushroom.

 I often have told my students that they should avoid eating any wild mushrooms if they do not devote considerable time to studying mushrooms, and learning how to positively identify different genera and species. One of the biggest hurdles to studying mushrooms is that they appear, as if by magic, and then a few days later, most have decayed back to nothing. By contrast, most plants are available for inspection all throughout their growing season. You can leisurely study the leaf and floral structures, clip some for your herbarium, and casually take (or send) samples to a botanist to confirm your identification. Generally, you don’t have the luxury of time with mushrooms. Furthermore, there seem to be far fewer mushroom experts than plant experts, so even if you have a perfect specimen, there may not be anyone to take it to for identification.

Despite the obstacles, thousands of people collect wild mushrooms throughout the United States on a regular basis. Many — such as myself – began the pursuit of mycology by joining a local mushroom group which conducts regular field trips.

Nearly everyone I’ve met who collects wild mushrooms for food collects only those few common mushrooms which are easy to recognize. These very common, easy-to-recognize, edible mushrooms include field mushrooms (Agaricus sps.), inky caps (Coprinus sps.), fairy rings (Marasmius oreades), chantrelles, Boletus edulis, chicken-of-the-woods, and many others.

Today we’ll take a look at the chicken-of-the-woods, also known as the sulfur fungus (Laetiporus sulphureus, formerly known as Polyporus sulphureus)

The sulfur fungus is a polypore, or shelf fungus. Instead of the more-familiar cap on a stem, this one grows in horizontal layers. It is bright yellow as the fungus begins its growth, and then, as multiple layers appear, you will also see orange and red. As it grows older, it fades to a very faded yellow or nearly white color.

 Typically, the chicken-of-the-woods grows on tree stumps and burned trees. It can grow high on the stump, or right at ground level. Though it can appear on many types of trees, in my area (Southern California), it is most common on eucalyptus and carob trees, both imported from Australia and the Middle East respectively.

 This fungus is very easy to positively identify. If you are uncertain, you can call around to the botany departments at local colleges, or nurseries, or check to see if there are mycology groups in your area. Most full color wild mushroom books include this mushroom with color photos.

 Fortunately, you can collect a sample of the chicken-of-the-woods and put it in your refrigerator or freezer until you can get it to someone for identification. This mushroom will keep well.

 In fact, when I locate some of the fresh chicken-of-the-woods, I cut off as much of the bright yellow tender outer sections as I think I can store. I only cut back a few inches; if I have to work my knife, then I am into the tougher sections of the fungus, and those are not as good eating.

 Typically, I will simply wrap the chunks of this fungus and freeze them until I am ready to use.

 Once I am going to prepare some for eating, the process is the same whether I am using frozen or fresh mushrooms.

 I put the chicken-of-the-woods into a pan and cover it with water, and bring it to a hard boil for at least 5 minutes. I pour off this water, and repeat the hard boiling. Yes, I am aware that some people do not seem to need to do this. However, if I do not do this boiling, I am likely to vomit when I eat the mushrooms, however prepared. I find vomiting one of life’s most unpleasant experiences, and I try to avoid it whenever possible. Thus, I always boil my chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms twice.

 If you are experienced with this mushroom and you know you can eat it without all this boiling, that’s fine. Just be sure to thoroughly cook it for your neophyte friends when you have them over for dinner.

 Once boiled, I rinse the pieces, and cut them into small nuggets on a breadboard. I roll them in egg (whole eggs, whipped) and then in flour. In the old days, we would then deep fry the breaded pieces. But since we now know all the bad things that deep-frying does to our arteries, we gently sauté the breaded chicken-of-the-woods in butter or olive oil, maybe with a little garlic, in a stainless steel or cast iron skillet, at very low heat. When browned, we place them on a napkin and then serve them right away.

 We have made these little McNuggets, packed them, and taken them on field trips for a delicious lunch.

 

 

 

About Christopher Nyerges

Profile photo of Christopher Nyerges
Christopher Nyerges began studying wild foods and self-reliance at around age 11, from Euell Gibbons' books, and from his mother, who grew up on a farm. He studied botany and mycology in high school and college, and understudied with Dr. Leonid Enari at the L.A. County Arboretum. He began teaching wild food walks in 1974, and has taken out approx. 34,000 students in field trips and workshops. His first book, "Guide to Wild Foods," was published in 1978. His other books include "Extreme Simplicity," "How To Survive Anywhere," "Testing Your Outdoor Survival Skills," "Self-Sufficient Home," and others. His latest book, "California Foraging," will be released in early 2014. He was the editor of Wilderness Way magazine for 7 years. He has also long been involved with various non-profits for outdoor and environmental education, including Sierra Club, Tree People, Boy Scouts, and WTI (see www.wtinc.info). Christopher (and his wife Dolores -- who passed away in 2008) co-founded the School of Self-reliance. His web site is www.ChristopherNyerges.com.

Check Also

Trapping for Winter Survival or All Around for Food, Fur and Fun. Part 2

More on Trapping A friend of mine said, “What I like about trapping is that …

4 comments

  1. Dear,

    I know the mushroom and I cooked a meal for my family so that a few years ago. No one has noticed that there were mushrooms.

    In Germany the name is Schwefelporling.

    😉

    Greetings

  2. Profile photo of Larry Gray

    Nice looking mushroom. I had not thought of contacting college to find a mushroom group.

    A quick question.. In growing your own mushrooms is it possible for a poison one to cross pollinate/breed or whatever mushrooms do that is and make a good mushroom poison or mildly toxic?

    Can this happen to wild mushrooms? Also are toxins in mushrooms widely varied or of only a limited few types? I’m also wondering if someone has analyzed mushrooms both domestic and wild for nutritional data.

    • when growing mushrooms, one usually buys a kit and follows the instructions. IF you have the kn owledge, you could collect wild specimens and cultivate too — but it requires a bit of an education. Is contamination possible? certainly. Can a fungus grow on a mushroom/fungus. Yes. However, when this contamination occurs, you can usually see that something does not look right, and you should not eat that specimen. This is why I always say you should learn mycology not from a video, but at a school or with a group where you can get hands-on training. cn

  3. I ate this chicken of the woods for several years from the same oak tree in the Midwest/Great Lakes. One year, my daughter started to vomit after eating it. I still did fine and then about two years ago I became sensitive to it – it worked like syrup of ipecac. Today I found a beautiful specimen that I could not resist taking a few cuttings from. I’ll try your boiling method. I’ve read many cautions about different species and different types of trees, but because of my experience, I suspected either an allergic reaction or some difference in my in cooking. I’ll boil tonite and try keeping it down in the am! Curious!!

Leave a Reply